Dragons race through my mind. They have had my attention since I was a little girl. As I stand on the edge of the forest glade I wait to see my favourite set of bright blue scales flash across the sky.
My sweet Sylestrial should be returning soon. As I look for her flying in to greet me, I see two other dragons approaching. What is unusual is that one dragon has no rider! It is rare that I don’t see dragons without riders unless they are foraging. I take a step into the glade. Maybe they will fly past me.
I watch from under the overhanging branches as the dragons circle the sky. They land and walk toward me. I look skyward again hoping Syle will arrive soon!
The rider dismounts, he pauses briefly to caress his dragon. As he approaches, I look him over carefully. I am still what they want with me.
He is dressed like most riders that I have seen. There is no flashing colours revealing alliances. Most riders wear long sleeves shirts and a heavier vest over it. Flying under the trees tends to scratch bare skin.
Where is Syle? She should have been back by now! There have been skirmishes between several of the kingdoms. I have been trying to stay neutral and avoid the battles.
I watch as the rider approaches the edge of the forest. He is scanning the area trying to locate me. I might as well show myself because it doesn’t look like he is going to give up.
I look past the riders to the dragons. The one that he was riding has golden scales like the morning sun. The dragon that arrived solo is as dark as coal with a golden face. But what could they possibly want with me?
“I know this is a little unusual. You are Kali right? You recently left the Grey Ridge Colony, the dragon colony.”
“Yes that’s me. Why are you looking for me?” I tip my head slightly in confusion.
“My name is Jaran. You are known to many people because of your connections with dragons.”
“I came to ask you to come with me to Auron Woods Castle!”
“I will need to wait for my dragon to arrive.” I look to the sky once more watching for Syle’s arrival.
“She will join you on the way to the castle. With all the recent skirmishes, we are taking extra precautions. Somehow it seems that our plans are known before they happened.” Jaran looks perplexed.
“So for that reason all newcomers to the castle are being smoked and dragons get steamed.” Jaran pauses allowing me to start puzzling through the information.
“So where is Syle and what do you mean smoked?”
“Syle is probably at the Hot Springs. She can immerse herself in the springs and then another dragon will breathe fire across the water once she is totally under. The water will force any unwanted hitchhikers to the surface and the fire will kill them.”
“What about me?” I ask unsure if I really want to know.
“With your permission Auradonis the black dragon will breath smoke on you and Austrylial, my dragon will burn anything that crawls to the ground. Once you have been half smoked, Auradonis will pick you up in his tail. Austrylial will have a clear path to burn without harming you.”
I just nod as the fellow rider backs out of the burn radius. Donis starts smoking me from my head down and once he hits my waist he lifts me off the ground and continues. Austry burns everything that drops to the ground. Nothing could survive that smoke and intense flame. He sets me down.
“You can ride Auradonis. His rider has been injured during mission to gather information and is resting at the castle. I heard that you have the ability to hear and speak to dragons not your own. The plan is to fly half way back the castle and rest for the night. Your dragon will find us. We humans can rest there before making the rest of the trip.”
Austry tosses her head almost in laughter. I can’t help but to chuckle also Austry found the human reference funny.
I tentatively reach out to Donis in my mind.
Hello Donis looks like I will be riding you for a while. Is that okay?
With typical Sylestrial fashion, Donis dips his head to caress my back. Or is it dragon fashion. I have seen other dragons nuzzle their riders in affection that way too. He offers me a knee to climb up.
Please climb up and ride between my wings. I will protect you until your dragon joins us. His sincerity relieves my mind.
In the mountains, Sylestrial is frustrated. She has been herded to this pool by another dragon. This dragon that is as black as the moonless sky will not let her come to me. She feels my anguish.
You need to immerse yourself in the springs. Once you get down below the surface, I will burn anything that rises to the top. There has been an outbreak of spies and we are baffled on how they are tracking us. He tries to explain why she is here and not allowed to join me just yet.
The prince decided to try this approach. It has had results with none of the recent attacks working. Your mistress will be smoked by one of the dragons. Once you get done with your bath you can fly to her.
The prince came to meet her personally. Her connection with you and her ability to connect to other dragons has become well know. It is not a very common gift.
Sylestrial reaches out in her mind to reassure herself that I am safe. Her mental nudge is a familiar caress. We are relieved that both of us are safe but she wasn’t pleased with the image of Donis smoking me.
I can’t help but giggle because even I found it funny.
A relieved Sylestrial slides into the springs no longer fighting. The other dragon Malik dressed sharply in black scales and with a few horns running down the back of his head burns across the surface. He reaches out to her mind letting her know that is safe to surface.
Now my lady can I escort you to your mistress. Malik offers a dragon like bow.
Sylestrial is taken back by his voice as she climbs out of the pool. Her only thoughts are about her need to get to me. She barely looks at him or notices his flirtatious glance. She shivers slightly as the water drips from her scales. With a desire to see me okay she takes to the air flying.
Malik watches with a heart felt sigh, his blue scaled dream flying away.
After Syle’s sweet mental caress I mount Donis’ back using his wing and neck to help with balance. Once I am secure, I take the time to glance over to the other rider.
He is securely mounted on his dragon. He leans over affectionately caressing her neck. Austry tips her head and nips at his hat playing as if she would take it.
This playful banter is typical between dragons and their riders. It is similar to the love connected relationship like Sylestrial and I share. With a nod that we riders share the dragons take to the air.
Austry and her rider lead the way. We are about an hour into the flight just above a forest when we are attacked. From within the shelter of the trees an attack starts with arrows shooting aimed at the wings.
As the dragons fly manoeuvring to avoid the arrows, Auradonis reminds me to hang on. He dives for the trees in self-defence. Knowing the way battles happen I reach for my sword. Donis weaves in and out of the branches trying to throw the attackers off balance. He dips and races under the lowest level of some branches.
Donis misjudges one of the branches and I get knocked off. At least I wasn’t trapped beneath him as he himself tumbles. He hurries to regain his footing. Unsure if anyone attacker is near he frantic looks around the woods while trying to regain his footing. He pauses momentarily to ensure that I am okay. He tips his head scanning me for obvious injuries.
Go help Austry! I will be fine. I stand up brushing myself off.
He hesitates briefly searching my mind for some sign of injury. Only when he is certain there is not injuries does he barrel through the woods to assist Austry. Donis barely makes it to see Jaran strikes the last attacker down. Austry had taken down her attackers but not without sustaining injuries.
I reach out to Donis wanting to be assured what is going on. With my connections I can see through his eyes. I also need to know how far ahead they are from me. With Donis’ eyes I can see which path he took and know that they are not too far ahead. I scramble through the under brush to rejoin the dragons.
Austry is the most injured since she took the brunt of the attack by drawing them away from me. Her rider is treating her wounds as I finally reach them. I check with Donis to see if there are any major injuries on him. I found a few visible scratches, which I clean up fairly quickly. I reach out again but this time I check in with Austry.
Austry is okay. I watch what happened during the attack in her mind. Austry and Jaran had led the fight away from Donis and I. I pause briefly. I look deep into her eyes questioning why?
In her mind I see the cavern of dragon eggs without riders. I can see what my future might unfold. Considering my abilities I can find the people that need to be riders. But more then that I can see the heart of the dragon unborn and influence for the greater good. That is why I was protected at the expense of the Prince.
With all this information I teeter losing my balance. Before I can fall Austry nips my shirt. Why am I so important? I ponder all that I was shown.
You are as important as my rider is. Without you so many eggs will lay dormant for centuries unable to find suitable riders.
He will guide you to the inner sanctum of the dragon lair and there you will be alone except for your Sylestrial. She will mother the eggs until such a time when you can match them with the riders. With your strong connection the riders can be found without you risking your life by leaving the castle.
Something happened without me seeing it. When Austry lets go of my shirt, Donis has his front claw placed behind me. But not to catch me he supports me so I will not fall.
I reach out to Austry inquiring if I can help with the healing. I am worried about her since she got hurt because of me.
My rider is almost done. But could you scratch between my horns? He has to clean up first and this itch is driving me nuts. Austry teases.
The prince reaches out to Austry. He voices his concern within her mind.
She wanted to help and you were almost done. She is overwhelmed and needed to feel normal if only for a moment. Austry coos in tenderness.
Once I scratch between her horns Austry purrs. I tilt my head and smiles. Her voice is so sweet. But I am aware of something coming and I need to move now! Without looking or speaking I walk into the clearing. My eyes are still connected to Austry’s. My body moves to where I am meant to be.
Donis shifts on his feet and moves to watch me. He stands alert ready to protect me. I know what is coming and lift my hand up. As my hand reaches up I connect with a tail. I caress it as my Lady Sylestrial flies above me just before she circles in for a landing.
Sylestrial always knows where I am and dipped her tail to touch me. She needed to connect to me. Syle lands just ahead and turns her head to look me over. She gives me a once over with both her eyes and her mind. I rush into her caressing wings. I hear her sigh in my mind as I sigh.
Auradonis looks at us worried unsure what to expect. His glance narrows as he watches but only until he sees the love shared between us. I had looked up at my sweet Syle and caressed her face as she licked mine. She missed me and greeted me in the old fashion way.
Sylestrial eyes the others. She isn’t happy that I was put in danger. She gives them the once over until she can be sure upon which side they are on. Her eyes glare somewhat until she sees that Austry was hurt. Her heart reaches out to mine with concern. In my mind she discovers why we are so important.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment