Out of the darkness comes a wonderful light. Pure joy radiates to fill the room as the angel arrived. A young girl is sitting quietly crying. She isn’t sure where her future is going.
‘What is a matter child?’
‘Am I to be all alone in the world?’
‘Why dear child you are never alone! I am your guardian angel. I have been with you since the day you were born.’
‘Your mom didn’t want to leave you. When Death arrived to stop the pain you don’t dare argue. Your mom wanted to stay with you! It was her time and she was spared more agony. Only knowing I am with you eased her struggle.’
‘I am to take you to your Aunt’s. She loves you dearly. She shall be waiting for you! Your mom had made arrangements a long time ago. I have known your pain sweetheart!’
The angel reaches for the child. Her wings dry the tears. The child cries harder. She releases her hold on her tears. The comfort that the angel provided is enough so she could finally let it go. The pain of finding her mom gone and being alone in the house poor Grace was waiting for someone to come.
It was so hard waiting for the neighbour to come over. The lady has done that every morning and every night since mom had got sick. The angel holds her charge till she senses the neighbour.
When the neighbour arrives, she sees the tear streaked face of the child. She knows what has happened! She reaches for the sweet child who starts to cry again. The lady just rubs the child’s back.
When Grace finally sobs to a whimper, Kelly speaks. “Grace would you to go to your room to grab some clothes. I am going to take you to your Aunt’s. She shall know what to do!”
The angel takes the child’s hand. They proceed to the bedroom. “Grace, you would need enough clothes for a few days. There is a bag under your bed to use. You should grab teddy too.”
Kelly heads to the other bedroom. Yes, Kris has gone for a while by the stiffness. Poor Grace must have woke up early and came in to see mom. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t find her in here when I arrived. She left the room and went to find Grace about to close her bag.
"Grace could I check to make sure that you got enough?"
Grace nodded her head. She felt the angel’s hand on her shoulder. She also heard her in her mind.
‘Kelly wants to check that you grabbed enough clothes and didn’t forget things like underwear and socks.’ Grace leaned back as the angel’s wings enclosed around her.
Kelly didn’t see the angel but was impressed on how well this child had packed. Beside the bag were her teddy and a quilt. It was the very last one her mom had made.
“Well sweetheart, time to grab your shoes and we could go!” Kelly reaches into the front closet for Grace’s jacket.
“Aunt Jenn has been waiting for this day. After last night’s call our arrival would not be a surprise.”
Grace is tying her shoes as the angel leans in to whisper.
‘I shall be shrinking to ride in teddy. Kelly would not understand if she saw me riding on the back seat.’ Grace just nods.
‘Yes Grace every time you felt a sudden presence or warmth that was I checking in on you.’
Grace looks at teddy and sees him glowing. Shoes are tied and jacket is on. Kelly grabs the bag and the quilt. Grace was already holding onto teddy for dear life.
Into the car Kelly puts the bag and the quilt. Grace had popped into the back seat with the quilt tucked around her. Kelly drives to Jenn’s. The drive itself is short but a worried Kelly keeps a close eye on Grace. Thank Heaven for rear view mirrors. Grace is sitting calmly with teddy in arms.
Jenn hears the car and popped to the window. She didn’t know the car but knew the child who is climbing out of the back seat.
“Oh no,” Jenn cries as she ran to the door.
Grace sees her Aunt Jenn and starts bawling again. Jenn just wraps her into her arms.
Unnoticed Kelly picks up teddy that amongst the confusion fallen to the ground. Teddy is glowing and warm? No! Kelly shakes her head.
Kelly just waits until there is a pause in the tears and she catches Jenn’s eye. Kelly just nods knowing the question. After a few minutes, Jenn takes Grace inside. She settles her on the couch with the quilt. Kelly tucks in teddy then the ladies head to the kitchen. Aunt Jenn pauses briefly.
“Grace, sweetheart, did you want some hot chocolate?”
Grace, whose eyes are barely visible above the teddy and quilt, just nods. Jenn starts setting up for tea while Kelly waited for the questions.
“Well I guess I should have been prepared after your call last night but I…” Jenn hangs her head because she had wanted the miracle.
Kelly just nods in agreement.
“I was praying for the miracle all night long. But when I walked into the house I saw Grace’s face streaked with tears. I was like NOOO. I don’t know how long she was alone! I never asked. I should have known Kris was barely hanging on, but I wanted to prepare you with the update.
“She was still fighting to live for Grace!”
Grace walked into the kitchen; clutching teddy like it was alive.
“What is it sweetheart?”
“Where am I to live now Aunt Jenn?” Grace has fear in her eyes!
“Mom and I had made plans that if anything happened I would be your guardian. Your mom loved you so much because you were her blessing! But sweetheart, your body can’t always win the fight!”
“I knew that mama was sick. I knew that she was fighting. But when I crawled into bed, she was so cold. I pulled up the extra blankets. But she wasn’t breathing…”Grace breaks into tears.
Jenn rushes to her and draws her into her embrace. They are crying together and rocking back and forth. Teddy drops to the floor.
Kelly never gave a thought of how Kris was well covered till now! Grace had taken care of her mom every morning.
No child should have to but the love Kris and Grace shared was spell bounding. From the first day Kris brought Grace home till she got too sick to move their love poured out. Every moment that Kris was with Grace pure joy was seen. They loved each other so much. One could only hope to have half that love in a lifetime.
When Kris got sick her first concern was for Grace being alone! Over many cups of tea while Grace was playing, Kris told Kelly the story. Grace was not conceived in love. But as soon as she felt the baby move, it did not matter. From then on the child was loved to pieces. Grace was raised alone with Jenn popped in to help when she could. She had a family who loved her immensely.
But cancer was not an easy thing to conquer. Kris gave it 110% in effort. Last night Kris told Kelly that if anything should happen to take Grace to Jenn’s. It was like she knew that her time was short.
Right after that Grace popped in to tell mom “I love you.” It was a nightly ritual just like Grace crawling for naps. Grace crawled into bed with mom and hugged her deeply. Then she toddled off to bed!
In the morning she always would awake early; crawl into bed with mom, and drift back to sleep. It was part of at tradition Kris started when she was nursing. After the early morning snack she would bring Grace to be to sleep a little longer. It was normal for Kelly to pop by and find Kris and Grace asleep some where. In the summer, it was under the apple tree or it could be under a quilt watching a movie. Anywhere was possible.
It was morning teatime everyday for as long as she could remember. Kelly slipped into Kris’ house for a cup of tea. It was a way to check in without making obvious. Both ladies were alone. So they would meet at either house around nine.
After Grace was born, it was always Kris’ place. It was easier for her with the baby. Time stood still as Kelly remembered. When she finally shook the cobwebs from her mind; Jenn is making cocoa and tea. Grace is on a chair reaching for sugar and marshmallows. Always a little helper Grace has been as soon as she could stir. It was like she was trying to be a normal as possible.
The ladies took the tea and head to the living room. Grace drinks half of her hot chocolate. She curls up under the quilt and falls asleep.
The poor tyke is worn out. She has been doing more. More then any child should have. The teddy drops and Jenn reaches to tuck it back in. She noticed the glow. She remembered how her guardian angel used to hide in her teddy around adults. When she thought back she remembered all the other times teddy glowed.
“Thanks for being there for Grace.” She whispered.
Teddy winks as he is tucked under Grace’s arm under the quilt.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment