Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Connected Souls

Lucas arrives early for his business flight. After getting a coffee, he heads to the common seating area for those waiting to leave or collect passengers. He is sitting patiently sipping his coffee with his legs spread out in front. He is watching people wondering who is going where this time.
In walks this lovely lady dressed in silver and black. Catherine arrives early to meet her Aunt’s plane. Her eyes are scanning the crowd for a vacant seat when their eyes connect. Her smile reaches his heart.
Luc smiles sweetly at this breath taking wonder. In the central commons, his eyes reach across the distance hoping to hold her in that moment to ensnare her heart as he holds her eyes.
She smiles at this stranger but out of the corner of her eyes she catches a flash of movement. Her face shifts focus and her expression changes drastically as she watches a young mother with a toddler. The little one is scrambling to explore while mom is trying to keep her safe and out of trouble. Cat trembles as she is caught. The flashback of memories hit like a tidal wave. Control is utterly lost.
Lucas scrambles to reach this lady. He is watching her body shake. He senses her emotions. He will not to let her fall apart all alone. He rushes over luggage and sprawling feet to reach this lady’s side.
Cat is swaying and about to crumble as she barely has control of how she feels. Lucas just barely reaches Cat and tries to steady her. Lucas gently holds her arms.
“Hi, are you okay?”
Catherine looks up at Luc to reply but then the waterworks start. She is reeling in flashbacks. The world disappears as her daughter’s life flashes before her.
Luc unable to stop takes Cat into his arms as she shudders in tears.
Cat collapses into his embrace.
Luc teeters trying to hold them both upright but that is not possible. Luc sits on the nearest chair rather then fall pulling Cat into his lap. Luc just holds her as she cries trying to console her, the best he can without words.
Poor Cat is so oblivious to everything – lost in her emotions. When the flashbacks finally stop, Catherine then realises that she is being held while she was crying. Catherine barely remembered seeing the young man who held her eyes captive. He was walking toward her when she noticed the toddler. Then she was hit by the emotions and somehow she ends up in his lap. She tries to move.
Lucas starts the conversation.
“Don’t move. I am not going to let you go till you are calmer or at least somewhat under control.”
“But I don’t even know your name.” Cat is somewhat baffled by this stranger. She is still fighting through the tears.
“I’m Lucas and you are?” Lucas wipes her face drying the tears on her cheeks.
“I’m Catherine. I am here to meet my aunt. She is arriving from France but I always get lost in this place.”
“Will you be all right for a moment? I need to make a call. Then I need to rebook my flight.”
“But… but” Catherine stutters. “You don’t even know me!”
“It is fine and I would never leave such a lovely lady alone in a time of need. Stay here and I will be right back.” Luc slides her to the next chair then he heads to the phones to make a call. The next stop is the ticket counter and he rebooks his ticket. Once everything is taken care of he returns to Cat’s side.
Catherine barely regains her composure when Lucas is suddenly standing back in front of her. She looks up and he smiles so warmly. His smile warms her very soul.
Luc seems to get a sense of things will be okay within Cat.
“My business partner will be taking the trip on a later flight. The meeting isn’t until nine in the morning tomorrow any ways. Now, how are you and what happened to cause those tears?”
“I’m okay I guess. But why are you reaching out to me? I’m a total stranger! Are you sure you want to know what is wrong?” Catherine watched Lucas. She was looking into his eyes, pools of mystery. The man has her completely puzzled.
Luc studies Cat. Looking deep into her eyes, he can see her very soul and smiles. Luc takes Catherine’s hand and pulls her up into his arms. They melt as physical connection is made. It is a perfect fit.
Luc whispers, “Because when I connected with your eyes I become lost. I found someone of who intrigues me. I’ve a feeling that I know you some how in some other lifetime perhaps? So sit and tell me the story please,” he implores. He takes a seat beside Cat who is on the verge of collapsing again.
“All right bear with me.” Cat tries to formulate the story. Her tears are still threatening to start again.
“I am not sure how well I can tell this story! About two years ago I was blessed with a daughter but there were issues at birth. Maxi needed major surgery to correct a defect and she died after surgery because of complications. She died only about six months ago! That toddler would have been her age roughly.” Cat speaks fighting to maintain an even voice without cracking.
Luc reaches out to hug Catherine again. Lucas ponders about what he just heard for a moment as he holds her.
“Poor Catherine. She is such a lovely lady who doesn’t deserve hurting. What, did I see another smile sneak out? Hmm what a smile! What a pleasure to see it as well.” Luc is intrigued by the lady and can’t help teasing. He wants to lighten her spirit in attempt to hold the emotions at bay.
Catherine can’t help but feel like a schoolgirl again for a moment. A lady not just a grieving mom! How long has it been since anyone, including herself saw the woman? An hour has past with a gentleman who listened to every word and wiped away all the tears.
“Oh no” Suddenly Catherine remembers why she was at the airport. She gets up and apologises to Lucas.

No comments: