Friday, November 14, 2008

Moonlight Embrace

The old cabin has long since fallen.
It hadn’t been used or thought of in years.
But looking through grandma’s picture album, I remember.

A short drive back to the lake and down the lane to the old foundation I went.
Almost drawn by some sort of presence, I was.
Thank heaven, it was a clear moonlight night.

I walk to the back of the foundation rumble, watching for rocks and uneven debris.
I don’t know why I was even here.
There was a picture of the grandparents out here on a moonlight night.

The caption dated the picture before they were married.
It is hard to think of them when they were just getting started.
Mind you, they always reminded me of a couple very much in love.

Actually, I just realised the date on the album was the same as tonight.
Are they going to put in an appearance?
But they both died almost five years ago, is it possible?

I’m now standing just off what would be the old back porch.
You can see between the trees to the old canoe by the lake.
The path is so clear and now I recognise this area from the picture.

They must have stood by the water’s edge in the picture.
So wrapped up in each other that they didn’t know it was taken until much later.
I wonder what had just happened before it was taken.

I briefly remember Gran saying Gramps proposed down by the lake.
Maybe the picture was taken after Gran replied.
They both look so happy in that picture and so in love.

Am I imagining things?
I can almost see a ghostly vision over laying the view.
It looks like Gran and Gramps the night of the picture.

No, I’m not seeing things; Gramps just winked at me.
Their spirits must have come back on this anniversary and they wanted someone to know that they were together.
Now I know why I am here; I am happy for them and I now know that there is hope to live after death.

No comments: